To give the house a fresh look and make our paint job stick Joe recommended that we sand all of the walls and then prime and paint. My husband is a meticulous painter. When you paint with Joe there are no shortcuts allowed. Joe did most of the sanding and I helped with the parts I could reach. I underestimated the value of sanding the walls. Once we sanded we were able to fix the imperfections – hammering nails back in, patching holes, etc. It makes a world of difference to start with a clean and even slate!
Once the walls were sanded everything was wiped down to get rid of the dust. Make sure to get some big soft sponges and dampen them to wipe everything down. You'll want to do it more than once.
Ceilings and closets – my wonderful father in law, Tim, sprayed all of the ceilings and closets for us!
Next it was time for the primer. KILLZ was our best friend – despite how toxic it is, it sealed up the walls and helped to get rid of the stench in the house. We were lucky it was Fall - we could leave the windows open!
After primer we taped the trim and got the rollers ready for COLOR! I had lots of fun picking out paint for our house. We purchased all of the paint from Sherwin Williams in Mission and were very happy with the quality.
Things I learned from Joe about painting:
- Cut in the corners and edges with a wide brush first.
- Roll from the top down in even lines, getting as close as you can to the ceiling w/o touching it.
- Watch for drips! (He hates drips!)
Here’s where I’ll leave you with before and after shots of the color transformations in each room – except for the master bedroom – that’s a different post where we’ll learn all about painting with RED.
Living Room/Hallway with seller’s items – and a preview of the grungy hardwoods:
Living Room & Hallways with Sherwin Williams – Macadamia:
Bedroom #1 with the seller's stuff:
Bedroom 1 with Sherwin Williams - Friendly Yellow:
(That's my little brother, William, painting the storage nook for me!)
Bedroom #2 Before – with seller’s stuff.
Bedroom 2 with Sherwin Williams – Lily Pad (discontinued I think…)
No comments:
Post a Comment